At Holman Insurance Brokers Ltd., we have specialized knowledge and experience in this potentially complex area of Marine. We’re able to create marine insurance policies for both commercial enterprises and private pleasure craft. We are equally happy insuring a small boat as we are a multi‐million dollar marina construction project. We’re also able to offer competitively priced cargo insurance.
Most marine and marine related companies have operations that expose them to a multitude risks that could result in an insurance loss. These exposures typically are not all covered under traditional commercial insurance policies and often require several marine specific policies in addition to standard commercial policies in order to properly protect your business and ensure you can continue to operate and stay in business in such an event.
Whether it is insuring the actual vessel – large or small – its crew, cargo or third party liability, we are able to tailor policies which suit your needs perfectly. We understand that every insurance policy needs to provide cover for a wide variety of individual circumstances, and that’s why we’re trusted to create the right insurance at the right price. With our long experience we can work with underwriters to obtain the very best results for our clients.
Types and benefits of marine insurance through Holman include:
- Hull and Machinery Insurance: cover for loss or damage to the vessel and its equipment. The causes of loss insured against are called perils and are named. They include fire, explosion, theft, piracy, bursting of boilers, negligence of the master and crew and “perils of the sea” - a broad marine insurance term which is internationally recognized to include flooding, sinking and grounding
- Protection and Indemnity Insurance: coverage for third party liabilities arising out of the ownership and operation of a vessel. The risks covered can include bodily injury to crew and passengers, pollution, wreck removal (e.g. when a vessel sinks and blocks a harbor entrance) as well as elements of collision liability not covered in your Hull and Machinery policy
- Cargo insurance: this type of insurance covers physical damage to, or loss of your goods whilst in transit by land, sea or air. Cargo insurance is usually provided by the means of one of three Institute Cargo Clauses ‐ A, B or C. Cargo Clause A provides the most cover with B and C giving less coverage
- Navigation limits include USA and Canadian coastal waters. We are able to negotiate and agree worldwide extensions with our underwriters – ask us for details
- All Marine Insurance policies from Holman have “A” rated security with an established world leader in marine insurance
- we can arrange cover for a multitude of maritime risks including pleasure craft, personal water craft, tugs, barges, commercial fishing vessels, sport fishing vessels, whale watching vessels, ferries, dinner cruises and floating lodges. We also cover boat yards, marine construction projects, wharfs, terminals, cargo and marinas
- No risk is too big or too small
In general most marine insurance is written on industry standard wordings but there can be subtle differences that can have a dramatic impact on claims handling. There are different options, policy wordings, enhancements or amendments available. Your Holman broker will be able to help create a individual policy to suit your requirements exactly.